Palm Tree Santas Drill Team

Santa Bob Elkin

HO HO HO! I had posted this as a response on another chat site to a Santa saying our BDUs were the ugliest pants he had ever seen and a few other misconceptions and questions as some folks just seem to like to raise negative issues with anything!

My response:

I don't know for sure, but I remember a pair of spandex, criss-crossed orange, green, black and white stripes I saw on a rather large woman a few years ago that would give us a run for our money as the ugliest pants! ho ho ho!

This was the only camo with some red we could find on short notice. We are having Santa Camouflage Uniform pants (SCUs) made out of the same material as our hats and canteen holders, with the nice bright Santa red. I hope you will like them better!!

Some points of information for any who wish to know: or FYI

The Palm Tree Santas Drill Team representing Santa America in NOT, NOT MY team or MY idea! The team is the brainchild of team member and Navy veteran, Santa Dennis Pollard and team member and Marine, Santa Jim Williams. I am a mere recruit!

Our Drill Instructor is a highly decorated Eagle Scout, Elf Jingles, who is the son of team member and Army veteran, Santa Dick Rehm. We hope most folks will look for the glass half full and see the humor in a 16 year old D.I. to a group of old veterans! ho ho ho!

Marching behind me is team member and Air Force veteran, Santa James Herberman. We do expect to add a large number of Santa's to our Drill Team in the coming months and years, so we can provide a lot of visits and appearance all over the good old USA!

The team's motto is "To Honor Those Who Serve and All Those Who Have Served". The team was formed some six/eight weeks ago to enter the CS Fashion Show. Since our members live throughout the state, practice was mostly non-existent. Approximately 1 week before CS, Santa Phil Wenz suggested to me, we "march" in the parade. All the team members agreed, except team member and Army veteran, Santa Dan Gallagher who has a new $40k 3-wheeler Harley that he purchased with the idea of riding in parades!

The team was formed to appear at various Santa America Military related functions, whether it be a Wounded Warrior Transition, a Welcome Home to a Navy ship after many months at sea or any of the many various ways we feel we can honor our Service men and women. All of these appearances will be arranged with Santa America and SA's National Director of Military Programs, Santa Dave Jordan. Santa Dave and some of his SA's "Military" Santas have received THUNDEROUS applause from their appearances at Military bases and some very special acknowledgements from Commanding Officers!

The team was not formed as a precision "drill" team, but rather a collection of perhaps, “grizzled old veterans”, who are Santas, desiring to bring a little HONOR to our service men and women, in a light and humorous way.

For instance, when you look close you can see our canteens, if you had seen us at the Fashion Show, when our D.I. gave the command, "Got Milk" we pull out our milk bottles, or "Got Cookies" we pull out our cookie for a quick bite of cookie! ho ho ho!

We wore our Santa America “SleighBorne” Division Patch, our Candy Cane Platoon Patch and an American Flag Patch. We carry large candy canes, and have a Gold Palm tree pin on our SCU hat. We have a number of other items we expect to add prior to our next appearance. We welcome other Santa's to join us as a member of Santa America Drill Team to welcome home our troops!

Our experience in the parade was just short of phenomenal! It appeared that everyone was applauding, shouting words of encouragement and taking pictures! What really validated the appearance for me was, the large number of elderly gentlemen, who came to attention and SALUTED us as we marched by. We were not carrying an American Flag!

Further validation possibly came the next morning at the CS opening session when the PTS Drill Team was awarded the Judges Choice Trophy as whom the judges viewed as their choice as the best of the best, the Gold of the Parade!

I believe we were also the only entrant in the Fashion Show that received a standing ovation from our peers, the Santa's and Ms Clauses in attendance. That is not to say the Fashion Show was not jam packed with approximately 60 entries of the most fantastic Santa and Ms. Claus suits and casuals that I have ever even imagined!

We have already been invited to entertain at a Memorial Weekend Celebration and a Memorial Day Parade, hopefully the details will be finalized and be announced soon! If anyone is interested in inviting us to entertain at future events please contact me at santa@santatb.com.

Collecting smiles,

Santa Bob

Let me also add Bob, that you guys looked good, had fun and yet still instilled a message and a tribute that you so wanted to display.

Thank you, Santa Edson, for your kind and thoughtful words. I was a bit upset after the fashion show, I didn't want our tribute to our military and their families to be a "joke." I was so nervous and forgetful in my lines and not as prepared as I should have been. After our performance, several Santas including Santa Kona, who I have a great deal of respect for, told me that our message came through loud and clear through the laughter. Our military families deserve the respect and honor we hope to provide. Thank you to all of the Santas and Mrs. Clauses who understood our purpose and allowed us our moment in the spotlight for the children.

I was a bit upset after the fashion show, I didn't want our tribute to our military and their families to be a "joke."

Santa Dennis, (One of a few of you that I guess I'll have to 'meet' next time, as we ran out of time this time. . . cry.gif)

Let me say that being, "A joke", is a far, far cry from touching folks with laughter, and I certainly felt that you all hit the nail's head on the latter. I cannot imagine any AD service member/Vet not understanding the message, and appreciating a good laugh after the tough job they did for us.

I thought that you all did a wonderful job. clap_1.gif yahoo.gif 2thumbup.gif

Also, being one of Santa Dave Jordan's Santas for service members, I'd like to know who to contact about getting the proper attire now that the material has been determined. (Please PM me. . .)

Dollars spent prepping the uniform and accessory equipment: Who cares

Hours spent prepping and arriving at the location to share the love we have for these men and women who serve/d: Who cares

The look on their faces when they 'get' the message: PRICELESS!

Your message of honor to the troops and veterans was definitely loud and clear! You brought both heartfelt tears of appreciation for your message and tears of laughter with your wonderful performance! The youthful elf was a great touch!

Brenda McElyea

St. Paul, TX (Dallas area)

I was a bit upset after the fashion show, I didn't want our tribute to our military and their families to be a "joke." ... Thank you to all of the Santas and Mrs. Clauses who understood our purpose and allowed us our moment in the spotlight for the children.

If your intentions were pure and honest, that's all you can possibly do. Sounds like a noble and sincere tribute to me...I wish I could have seen it!

• 5 weeks later...

2thumbup.gifFor those of you who may be interested...

The Palm Tree Santa Drill Team has been working hard and growing since our debut at Celebrate Santa in Gatlinburg! Our Webmaster and Assistant Team Leader, Santa Jim Williams has begun a fantastic website for us. Please visit at www.ptsdrillteam.com and learn more about us! We have added three more members since last month and welcome them with open arms.

yahoo.gifyahoo.gif2thumbup.gifclap_1.gif

• 1 month later...

At the urging of Santa Bob, I have placed a few pictures in the Members' section of the Gallery for you to see what the Palm Tree Santa Drill Team has been up to. The pictures were taken during our appearances in Canton, NC during Memorial Day weekend, and last weekend during the Palm Tree Santa "Spring Fling" in St. Augustine. We also had a few humorous pictures taken during a more formal photo shoot taken in Alachua, FL during one of our rare practice sessions. I hope you enjoy the pictures and would appreciated your comments!

At the urging of Santa Bob, I have placed a few pictures in the Members' section of the Gallery for you to see what the Palm Tree Santa Drill Team has been up to. The pictures were taken during our appearances in Canton, NC during Memorial Day weekend, and last weekend during the Palm Tree Santa "Spring Fling" in St. Augustine. We also had a few humorous pictures taken during a more formal photo shoot taken in Alachua, FL during one of our rare practice sessions. I hope you enjoy the pictures and would appreciated your comments! And please our website if you haven't done so recently, Santa Jim is always adding things!

http://www.palmtreesantasdrillteam.com/

Santa Dennis,

I don't know how I managed to miss this thread, but somehow did.

Let me tell you, Santa Dennis, that your performance individually AND as part of the team was nothing short of WONDERFUL! You personally are and were adorable and that smile of yours is contagious. I had NO idea you were upset after the appearance at the Fashion Show, you hid it quite well. I just hope if I ever head up another Fashion show I can count on you all in this wonderful endeavor to agree to do a repeat performance, HUMOR and ALL!

Got Milk? Got Cookies? I LOVE it!

And Santa Bob; as with any insult (referring to the pants) one must consider the source and go from there. I loved the outfits with the Santa Camo pans and Santa hats and I love the Beret's too! You all do a great job and don't let anybody ever try to tell you any differently; they obviously have something lacking in their lives~

Thank you so much for your kindness and thoughtfulness, Cindylu! On behalf of the Drill Team, we would be honored to perform at any event you and Santa Charlie are a part of. I think we have come a long way since the fashion show and add something different and fun to each performance. The next public appearance for the Drill Team will be in Tarpon Springs and Tampa, FL for the 4th of July Celebration. We will be debuting our version of the "Story of the National Anthem" and of course Red Skelton's "Pledge of Allegiance." The following weekend we are back in Tarpon Springs for our 2nd Annual Palm Tree Santas "Christmas In July" event complete with a Santa Parade, Reindeer/Elf classes, Reindeer Games and a chance for the children to actually march with the Drill Team! We would love to have you and Santa Charlie join us if at all possible! Santa Jim has a nice poster posted on the "latest News" section of the Palm Tree Santa website. Again, thank you so much, Cindylu!

http://www.palmtreesantas.com/news.html

ho ho ho! The Palm Tree Santas Drill Team have been invited to appear in the City Of Tarpon Springs "Bar-B-Que in the Park" in Tarpon Springs, Florida on our Nation's Birthday, July 4th! (not to be confused with Christmas in July on July 10th)

Thanks to our fearless Team Leader, Santa Dennis Pollard, the Drill Team will perform in Tarpon Springs (for the first time anywhere) The Star Spangled Banner as you have never heard it before. (a version you will really like, we hope)

The Drill Team will relate the history of the War of 1812 and the 25 hours of fierce bombardment by the British Navy on Fort McHenry, as they were determmined to destroy our American Flag.

When Francis Scott Key saw the Flag still flying "by the dawn's early light" Key was inspired to write the Star Spangled Banner, later officially designated our National Anthem.

I would suggest if you can possibly purchase an airline ticket or drive to Tarpon Springs for the Palm Tree Santas Drill Team's performance at 11:30 am on July 4th in Craigs Park, you should, you don't want to miss this performance!

ho ho ho! seriously folks, we are going to try our best to get some video of our rendition of The Star Spangled Banner and hopefully share it here, and maybe on U-tube.

Maybe we can also get some video of our presentation of "Red Skeleton's explanation to the words in the Pledge of Allegiance". This presentation has been received by our audiences with a lot of awesome enthusiam, cheers and applause! even whistles, really!

We "practiced" The Star Spangled Banner for the first time today, so please wish us luck in honoring all who serve and those who have served on our Nations Birthday!

We owe a lot of the readers on Claus Net a large debt of gratitude for your fantastic endorsement of our "novice beginnings" back in Gatlinburg! Your support and encouragement has played a large part in us "going for the brass ring" Thanks for your support and your endorsement of our mission and purpose!

Bob, I as a veteran having not seen you all in person but have watched the videos I would like to say thank you all for the work you are doing. It could never be thought of as a joke but only as an honor to those that are serving now and those that have served in the past. It is a brotherhood like no other when you see and hear the cadence and drill orders from a D.I. you instantly go back to those days of yore. No matter what branch of service or what conflict you served it sends chills up your spine and I for one want to say thank you and I hope one day to see you all up close to give you the salute you so deserve.

It hurts so much these days when you see or hear the National Anthem and so many never stop talking, remove their hat, or place their hand over their heart, but you can pick out a serviceman past or present in a heart beat for they snap to attention, face the flag and thank God it is still there.

I know that the Star Spangled Banner will be performed with the love and honor that it so deserves by a drill team that holds the honor bestowed upon it with all the dignity that we have come to know. Thanks Bob and thanks to all of the Palm Tree Santa Drill Team!

Thank you so much Santa Jerry for your words of encouragement, I and the Santas of this Drill Team will be very honored and proud to return your salute. The Drill Team Members and the Clausettes feel just as you do about the pride in this country and what the symbols of this great country stand for. We also honor, respect and want to give thanks to those who have fought and shed their blood for us to wake up each morning in the greatest nation on earth. As Santas we have the chance and opportunity to teach our children those same values. As most of you know, a message from Santa or a Team of Santas is a very powerful message!

Santa Bob is being very modest when he talks about his role on this Team and our purpose of honoring our veterans and teaching the children about pride, honor and courage in regards to the Pledge of Allegiance and Our National Anthem. We have come a very long way in a very short time in bringing our message to all who will take a few minutes to listen, and so much of the work behind the scenes of getting the Drill Team looking good, promoting and arranging events for us to perform has been a direct result of Santa Bob's hard work. And if anyone has ever worked with this gentleman, they know that he never, ever does anything halfway! I am so proud to be a part of this adventure with Santa Bob and each Team Santa!

We had a great day of practice today and were able to accomplish a great deal in adding to and fine tuning our presentation. As Santa Bob stated so well, you will not see another Drill Team like ours and if in the near future you catch a glimpse of our performance honoring our veterans on the internet, you will want to see us perform live!

:spinthanks:

• 2 months later...

ho ho ho! here we go again! The Palm Tree Santas Drill Team will be performing this Sunday, September 12th in Salt Springs Florida.

Salt Springs is located in the middle of the Ocala National Forest, the occasion is their annual September-Fest The City is hosting this event to honor the men and women of our military who serve and have served, along with local heroes, our Fireman and Police.

Santas Drill Team will perform our "comedy" routine, followed by a special salute/tribute for "Grandparents Day". The Drill Team will present our version of Red Skeleton's explanation to the words of the Pledge of Allegiance, followed by our very moving story of the War of 1812 that inspired Francis Scott Key to write the words to the Star Spangled Banner.

During the story and the reading of the lines to the song, Santa Frank Miller plays our National Anthem on his saxaphone in the background. We close with Santa Frank and Santa George leading everyone singing our National Anthem! this is turning out to be a pretty cool salute to our military!

We invite everyone to come out for a great Chicken Bar-B-Q (roasted) with all the trimmings, live music, a DJ and a lot of family Fun. and games for the children! The event runs from 1:00-6:00, Santas Drill Team will present their programs at 2:30 and 4:30!

We have also been invited to participate in the James Haley, Tampa Veterans Hospital, Veterans Day Parade on Veterans Day, November 11th. We are really excited about these upcoming appearances!

• 2 months later...

As most of you already know, tomorrow is Veteran's Day. The Drill Team will be marching in a parade at the James Haley Veteran's Medical center in Tampa, Florida to honor and show our respect for our veterans. It will most likely be our last appearance of the year as a Team. It is a fitting final appearance of the year for us, we began with a parade in Gatlinburg and will end with a parade to honor those who are the reason for our being formed, our veterans.

It has been an unbelievable first year for all of us and the future looks brighter as we strive to bring our message of "Pride, Honor and Courage" to the children while honoring their heros, the men and women of our Armed Forces, law enforcement, firefighters and teachers. I am so proud of the Team members and the Clausettes for their accomplishments this year.

Thank you to all of our fellow Santas, Mrs. Clauses and Elves who have a chance to watch us grow with each performance for your thoughts, prayers and encouragement.

On behalf of the Palm Tree Santa Drill Team, we offer our most heartfelt prayers of Hope, Joy, Love and Peace for your Christmas Season and the next year as you collect the smiles and joy of the children you meet.

On behalf of the Clan Claus Society I would like to say Thank You for your dedication of purpose. As a veteran I would like to say Thank You Again, for the joy and inspiration that you all leave people with after they see you perform. We wish your team all of the best and Thank You Again.

Thank you for your unwavering support this past year, Santa Kona. You have been there encouraging and supporting us from the beginning in Gatlinburg. It is greatly appreciated! I hope to one day have the Drill Team march with you, Kathi and Clan Claus at a gathering of the Clans! Best wishes for a great season and Merry Christmas, Kona!

Archived