NYC Christmas in September

Kris Claus

I have an idea. Years ago I used to work for Radio City Music Hall (Not that I have any pull now.) My sister worked in promotions. I bet we could contact RCMH and get them to promote us to help them promote their yearly Christmas Spectacular.

I suppose big corporations would also want to sponser us, thus helping the cost of our event. How could Macy's NOT want to advertise Santa's? After all, a very special Santa of ours is Macy's #2 Santa. thumbsup.gif Certainly, he can start pulling some reins. I'm looking in your direction and whistling, Jonny Boy. lol_2.gif

What better way to restore the lime light of Santa and put the misery behind us from the "Celebrate Santa" fiasco. Here is an opportunity to start something fresh and new in the greatest city in the world.

I don't know how to go about these things, but I do want part in it. Who wants in? How do we start?

• Management

Not sure I understand. Why would Radio City Music Hall be interested? How exactly would they or a big corporation benefit?

Not sure I understand. Why would Radio City Music Hall be interested? How exactly would they or a big corporation benefit?

Radio City uses it to advertise their Christmas Spectacular. A publicity thing. When my sister worked there she headed a publicity stunt where there were 100 military members in Santa suits. Macy's benefits from the good will of the public. "Shop Macy's. We support Santa." kind of thing. It's all advertising.

If we are going to have a gathering in NYC, why not use our time for something beneficial? Ok, maybe we don't want to help big corporations make money off our backs. How about a fund raiser for needy children?

The idea is do something helpful with our Santa image and not just strut around in our suits. NYC is an ideal place. We would be sure to get national press coverage.

I have to tell you, Kris, that Macy's Special Events Department is a tough nut to crack. I can assure you that all of their Christmas promotions for this coming season has already been planned to the last detail.

Best bet for something like this is to contact the local media: TV, Radio, Press - they're always looking for a good story. And if a charity is the beneficiary of such a gathering, the interest will be even greater.

• Management

Radio City uses it to advertise their Christmas Spectacular. A publicity thing. When my sister worked there she headed a publicity stunt where there were 100 military members in Santa suits. Macy's benefits from the good will of the public. "Shop Macy's. We support Santa." kind of thing. It's all advertising.

If we are going to have a gathering in NYC, why not use our time for something beneficial? Ok, maybe we don't want to help big corporations make money off our backs. How about a fund raiser for needy children?

The idea is do something helpful with our Santa image and not just strut around in our suits. NYC is an ideal place. We would be sure to get national press coverage.

The Christmas Spectacular is booked solid every year. So much so that they are replicating the show in other cities now. I honestly don't think Radio City would be interested, but I guess it wouldn't hurt for you to contact them. Be prepared though to demonstrate at least a projection on a return on advertising dollars spent.

I also think that a gathering in NYC would be cost prohibitive. As someone who lived, worked, and continue to visit there, I think a NYC trip may be too expensive for most of the folks in our community.

There are two things you never need to ask me twice...Appear as Santa and visit NYC! I am not sure how the logistics would work, but I would be interested in participating if at all possible!

The Christmas Spectacular is booked solid every year. So much so that they are replicating the show in other cities now. I honestly don't think Radio City would be interested, but I guess it wouldn't hurt for you to contact them. Be prepared though to demonstrate at least a projection on a return on advertising dollars spent.

I also think that a gathering in NYC would be cost prohibitive. As someone who lived, worked, and continue to visit there, I think a NYC trip may be too expensive for most of the folks in our community.

The Radio City Christmas Spectacular comes to Seattle every year. I would love to be a Santa in the show. Every Santa I've ever seen in the show was a Designer Bearded Santa.

As for traveling to NYC to take part - I don't know. :sc_hmm:

• Management

The Radio City Christmas Spectacular comes to Seattle every year. I would love to be a Santa in the show. Every Santa I've ever seen in the show was a Designer Bearded Santa.

As for traveling to NYC to take part - I don't know. :sc_hmm:

That would be a tough gig to get. You would have to audition for the part and demonstrate your acting, singing, and probably even dancing ability.

That would be a tough gig to get. You would have to audition for the part and demonstrate your acting, singing, and probably even dancing ability.

Which explains the Designer Beard - they are probably all Professional Actors.

They are usually experienced stage actors from Broadway. Singing and dancing is a major part.

OK, I've been away for a week and has given me some time to think. Perhaps the lofty ideal of Radio City or Macy's is a bit beyond our reach - for now.

However... If you guys are willing to fly to Newark Liberty airport, and stay in NJ hotels, the cost of the stay would be less. It is less than 10 miles from the airport to the local hotels which are a couple of miles from my home. From there, it is about 30 minutes to tunnel into Manhatten, and get to local streets.

I used to work in NYC and the trip isn't bad at all if we travel off peak hours. All that is left is to contact local media to tell them about our charity cause. Perhaps even a brief Santa march. We can collect monies and use the funds to give needy families food and gifts for Christmas. Real Saint Nick of Myra stuff.

So, I say we shift solely to a charity drive with media coverage. Besides, there are lots of nice malls and such here in Hudson County where we could do our gig if NYC is still out of the question. Or, a few can stay in NJ, and a few go to NYC.

This can really work guys if we act fast and have a talented coordinator. My friend Sam works in advertising and could probably put us in contact with media folk. He is also well connected in church causes. "Claus for a Cause' Fund raiser. This could really change the way people see Santa.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

mf_popcorn.gif

• 1 month later...

I would be in.. I think it would be a nice thing for NYC. Especially if it were around Sept. 11. We can tie in a charity event for that. About cost I live here. If you stay in Manhattan it can be a bit pricey, but outside NY in the outer boroughs would be much less expensive. I'd love to do it.

• 2 weeks later...

I would be in.. I think it would be a nice thing for NYC. Especially if it were around Sept. 11. We can tie in a charity event for that. About cost I live here. If you stay in Manhattan it can be a bit pricey, but outside NY in the outer boroughs would be much less expensive. I'd love to do it.

Good thoughts on this, guys. I do have to agree, though, that it would be difficult getting the Radio City gang in on this; as you know, Charles Edward Hall is Radio City's longest-serving Santa, and has been for, as of this coming August, some 22 seasons. Getting him to hang out with us Kringles for this "Christmas in September" would require the cooperation of Madison Square Garden Entertainment's Publicity Department; I imagine they'd want proceeds for such an event to benefit their Garden of Dreams Foundation --- I think that website is http://www.gardenofdreamsfoundation.org --- or something close to it. We might have to Google it to further investigate.

Still, kudos to all for thinking this up, and when you guys have all the details, please let me know, and I'll be ready to suit up!

Well, so far it is Santa's Mike, and Elf and myself. While that is not a large number we could think something up. So, other than a charity drive does anyone else have an idea?

Would just be a pity to waste a Christmas season when we could be doing so much good with it.

I would say this is definitely worth persuing, no one was ever victorious after no effort at all.

• 4 months later...

Well, it is past September. :confused:

Theres plenty of time now to put something together for next year. :thumbsup:

Trying to get a group together for something like this at this time of year is next to impossible, as we're all busy starting our own Christmas Season and getting ready to fulfill our committment to those that have booked us for appearances.

Whereas I applaud the thought and idea, I just don't see that we could possibly be a part of of it at this time of year.

I am going to see the Radio City show tomorrow night. Better believe I will be dressed in red for the evening

Archived