Palm Tree Santas Drill Team in N.C.

Santa Bob Elkin

ho ho ho! on Friday a team of 12 or 14 Santas and our elves will be headed to Canton N.C. for a weekend of showcasing our talents??ho ho! Starting Friday night we will be appearing at different venues in the Maggie Valley area. One of our highlights will be our showcase show and performance at the classic and historic Colonial Theater in Canton on Saturday night.

We will be performing our marching drill routine complete with our "Got Milk". We will perform on stage our "Must Be Santa" song/routine and a new program, the Santas Drill Team's version of Red Skelton's explanation of the words to the Pledge of Allegiance, using a presentation of all the Military service flags and of course "Old Glory" will be front and center.

It is our goal to produce a CD of this presentation as our "Salute to our Military" and hopefully find a way for loved ones to send to their sons, daughters, wives and husbands, moms and dads serving our country throughout the world.

On Sunday we will be performing on stage at the Maggie Valley Corvette Show, one of the largest 'vette shows in the country!

On Monday, starting at 1:00pm we understand we will be honored to lead the Memorial Day Parade with the local National Guard Squadron following directly behind us!

We will also be appearing at "Wheels of Time Museum" and several other business and restaurants who are helping to fund our expenses. Please wish us luck in this huge undertaking we are about to embark on!

If you can, come visit with us and cheer us on!, if you can't, keep us in your thoughts and prayers as we make this journey to salute and honor all of our military families who serve and who have served our great country!

And if you wish, check out our website: wwwpalmtreesantasdrillteam.com our webmaster Santa Jim Williams has done a great job!!

Bob hope all goes well and safe travels to your team.

The Palm Tree Santa Drill Team will be in our thoughts and prayers. Sorry we can't be there, we're just on the other side of the Smokies, but will be working Friday thru Monday and can't be there. I know that you'll have GREAT performances.

• 2 weeks later...

I just thought I'd update everyone about the lastest news on the Palm Tree Santas Drill Team, (so you'll have something positive to read instead of the something negative about "Celebrate Santa!")

Fourteen members of the Drill Team and their support group, "The Clausettes," were the guests for Santa Dennis and Deborah Reed during the Memorial Day weekend in the Maggie Valley area of NC. Our hosts were absolutely the best! Friday night after arrival, we were the guests at a "Meet and Greet" of the organizers of the Corvette Show. We gave a short stage preview of our "Must Be Santa" routine. It is much improved from our debut at the fashion Show in Gatlinburg, at least I remembered my lines better!

Saturday was spent visiting the sponsors that Debbie had put together to bring us to the area. At each place we practiced and performed our version of Red Skelton's Pledge of Allegiance and collected many smiles and donations to support Santa-America and our "Pride, Honor, Courage program. At the "Wheels of Time" museum, we had the honor and privledge to raise a new and huge American Flag. It was a last minute request but went very well and we were able to perform the Pledge of Allegiance program to many veterans in the audience. Later that evening we again performed the Pledge of Allegiance ceremony before the evening's concert at the City of Canton's restored Colonial Theater. The mayor introduced us by telling the audience that they would never see another Drill Team like the one they were about to see!

Sunday morning we performed at the Corvette Show our full stage show of "Must Be Santa" and the Pledge of Allegiance. We ate at Granny's Chicken for lunch. It has the best fried chicken, but what made it so special was that the owner who passed away last fall had assembled a huge collection of military memoribilia from all branches of service since WWII. The new owner, his daughter, has kept things as they were. As veterans, we really appreciated spending time there.

Monday morning rained pretty heavily, greatly reducing the anticipated crowd for the Memorial Day Parade, but the skys clearled 10 minutes before the start. We had the privilege of having a little girl named Shelby ride with Santa Dan on his motorized trike with the service Flags. Shelby has been battling brain cancer at Duke University for the last two years and this was her "homecoming." It was amazing and overwhelming to see so many people who new her lining the parade route and cheering her!

Finally, on Monday night, as we sat in the lobby, recovering, we met an amazing young college girl who was so excited to eat cookies with the Santas. She and her friend sang a song for us and sang Christmas carols with us. The topping off the evening was time spent with a wonderful 3 year old and his mother. After taking pictures, Joshua grabbed a cookie and without any prompting by anyone, went to each Santa and shared his cookie with each one! It was very inspiring and magical to see his face as he offered his cookie!

If you haven't had a chance to visit our website, www.ptsdrillteam.com, please do so, and let us know what you think. Santa Jim Williams is always adding new pictures and things and does a great job. And we you ever get a chance to visit the Palm Tree Santas during one of our get togethers, please do, you are always welcome to join us in love, laughter and fellowship!!

I just thought I'd update everyone about the lastest news on the Palm Tree Santas Drill Team, (so you'll have something positive to read instead of the something negative about "Celebrate Santa!")

Fourteen members of the Drill Team and their support group, "The Clausettes," were the guests for Santa Dennis and Deborah Reed during the Memorial Day weekend in the Maggie Valley area of NC. Our hosts were absolutely the best! Friday night after arrival, we were the guests at a "Meet and Greet" of the organizers of the Corvette Show. We gave a short stage preview of our "Must Be Santa" routine. It is much improved from our debut at the fashion Show in Gatlinburg, at least I remembered my lines better!

Saturday was spent visiting the sponsors that Debbie had put together to bring us to the area. At each place we practiced and performed our version of Red Skelton's Pledge of Allegiance and collected many smiles and donations to support Santa-America and our "Pride, Honor, Courage program. At the "Wheels of Time" museum, we had the honor and privledge to raise a new and huge American Flag. It was a last minute request but went very well and we were able to perform the Pledge of Allegiance program to many veterans in the audience. Later that evening we again performed the Pledge of Allegiance ceremony before the evening's concert at the City of Canton's restored Colonial Theater. The mayor introduced us by telling the audience that they would never see another Drill Team like the one they were about to see!

Sunday morning we performed at the Corvette Show our full stage show of "Must Be Santa" and the Pledge of Allegiance. We ate at Granny's Chicken for lunch. It has the best fried chicken, but what made it so special was that the owner who passed away last fall had assembled a huge collection of military memoribilia from all branches of service since WWII. The new owner, his daughter, has kept things as they were. As veterans, we really appreciated spending time there.

Monday morning rained pretty heavily, greatly reducing the anticipated crowd for the Memorial Day Parade, but the skys clearled 10 minutes before the start. We had the privilege of having a little girl named Shelby ride with Santa Dan on his motorized trike with the service Flags. Shelby has been battling brain cancer at Duke University for the last two years and this was her "homecoming." It was amazing and overwhelming to see so many people who new her lining the parade route and cheering her!

Finally, on Monday night, as we sat in the lobby, recovering, we met an amazing young college girl who was so excited to eat cookies with the Santas. She and her friend sang a song for us and sang Christmas carols with us. The topping off the evening was time spent with a wonderful 3 year old and his mother. After taking pictures, Joshua grabbed a cookie and without any prompting by anyone, went to each Santa and shared his cookie with each one! It was very inspiring and magical to see his face as he offered his cookie!

If you haven't had a chance to visit our website, www.ptsdrillteam.com, please do so, and let us know what you think. Santa Jim Williams is always adding new pictures and things and does a great job. And we you ever get a chance to visit the Palm Tree Santas during one of our get togethers, please do, you are always welcome to join us in love, laughter and fellowship!!

Santa Dennis,

Visited the website and LOVE the new Red Beret's and what appears to be a mitten muffler around the neck! KUDOS to you all for a wonderful job, delightful website and your committment to honor the armed forces. You are ALL to be commended for your efforts.

I have just one small suggestion, though.....on the website, you need a comment page so visitors can comment

and also maybe a counter clock to record the number of visitors your site attracts.

Hats off to Santa Jim Williams for his expertise in creating the website, it's awesome and the photos are GREAT! You fellows do us ALL proud!

Thank you, Cindylu, for your kind and thoughtful encouragement. I will definitely pass on your ideas for additions to the Drill Team website to Santa Jim. I'm very blessed to be surrounded by a great group of fellow Santas to work with on the Team and to have a great supporting group, our "Clausettes." I just got word from Santa Bob Elkin that we will perform twice this Saturday in St. Augustine, once for our fellow Palm Tree Santas to give them an idea of what their Drill Team is doing and then again later in the afternoon in front of the City Hall for the public. I'm excited because we are going to add more direct interaction with the children during the performance and show them a way of honoring and giving "thanks" to the heroes in their lives. Hopefully it will bring us closer and truer to our mission and purpose of Love, Hope, Joy, and Pride, Honor and Courage to the heroes in our lives, the children. Again, "Thank you" Cindylou and all those who are reading about us and for believing in our cause.

Thanks Gator Claus for an insightful relaying of our Memorial Weekend in Canton. It really is a joy to work with you as a member of the Drill Team!

For Cindylu, and all, it is hard to see, but we wear a Santa-America Hug around our neck, which if you had a maginifing glass you could see they have Love, Hope and Joy, and Santa America embroidered on the mittens. We expect on occasion, to be able to take off one of our Santa America Hugs and present to a special needs child in a parade or a special show.

The Santa America Hugs are designed to be presented to a special needs child with these or similar words:

"This is your Santa Hug, whenever you feel like you need a little hug, just put on your Santa Hug, put your hands in the mittens and give yourself a little hug and remember that is Santa giving you a hug, with all his Love, Hope and Joy!"

Both of the Drill Team's shows in St. Augustine this Saturday are open to the public, 1:00 at Ripley's Museum and 4:00 at the City Hall! Santa Dennis has also announced we will have FREE souvenir wristbands and FREE team photos for the children at both events! Come join us!

• Management

The Drill Team is an example of the kind of spirit we should all display...one of love, hope, and compassion for others. Thanks to Gator Claus and other members of the Palm Tree Santas Drill Team for putting yourselves out in the public and showing them we truly care about everyone, especially those in need.

Oh WOW, I'm absolutely loving the Mittens and the hug

motto. What an outstanding message and personal thing to award to special needs kids as you go along. I don't know who came up with that idea but it's certainly a 'keeper'!

God Bless you ALL, for being who you are, what you represent and having the courage to display it publicly in such a glorious way!

The Santa America "Hugs" that we wear were designed and specially made for Santa-America to be presented to a child or person by a Santa-America Santa during his visit. When we become members of Santa-America and have finished our application and training process, Santa Ernest and Elf Nita send a few of the hugs to us. We then "buy" more through our donations to Santa-America. Santa John presented an elderly gentleman dying of cancer his "Hug" during the First Holly and Shamrock Parade in 2009. I have presented several "Hugs" to both children and adults during my visits to Hospice and The Ronald McDonald House as many Santas have. The members of the Drill Team wanted to wear something visible on our uniforms to show our support for Santa America but mostly to be able to give a child a "Hug" from Santa.

Yes, the "Hugs" are a wonderful gift of love, and whoever created the idea has a pretty special place in our hearts.

With the wonderful work you and the drill team are doing all over the Country on behalf of Santa America, I would hope that Santa Ernest and Elf Nita would gladly supply you fellows with all the "hugs' you need free of charge.

I know that you all have raised a lot of money for Santa America and there most assuredly will be much more to come from the donations given by all the gererous Santas, Mrs. Clauses and public in general in appreciation for your Individual efforts along with your representation through Santa America.

Many, many Blessings to all of you for this selfless service you are providing to so many!

I love the new beret's what is the patch image of?

Love it; just love it. I am very interested in obtaining some video of your routines expecially the Red Skelton meaning on the word of the Pledge. I'm wanting to be able to send a copy to my son who is in the Military. Please keep up the good work, God bless, and Always Believe.

Santa Jason

• Management

Excellent video! Keep up the beat, PTSDT!

Great Video, Gentlemen!

The Drill team shown in the video was making their inaugural March at the Fashion Show at the Convention in Gatlinburg March 2010. They did a great job and received a Standing "O" from the audience.

As the Chairperson of the Fashion Show, I can't thank them enough for their participation! It added a LOT to

the show for sure!

Love it; just love it. I am very interested in obtaining some video of your routines expecially the Red Skelton meaning on the word of the Pledge. I'm wanting to be able to send a copy to my son who is in the Military. Please keep up the good work, God bless, and Always Believe.

Santa Jason

Thank you for your thoughts and support, Santa Jason. We are working on taking video of our presentations but it has been a slow process. We will soon debut a new presentation about the story of our National Anthem in July . We would be very honored to have you send them to your son and his unit to view. Please PM me with your address or email and I'll get them to you when we have them put together. Please pass on to your son our sincerest "Thank you" for his service to our country and please accept our prayers and thoughts to you, your family and your son.

Good luck in all you Santas do!!

Archived