Tomb of ‘Santa Claus’ unearthed in Antalya: Expert

Rob Thompson

Tomb of ‘Santa Claus’ unearthed in Antalya: Expert

Source - Daily News. (Turkey)

Date - 12-10-2022

An excavation team has unearthed the exact place of the tomb of Saint Nicholas, also known as “Santa Claus,” and the floor on which he walked, inside the St. Nicholas Church in the southern province of Antalya’s Demre district.

63451f6d4e3fe026f0d52b39.jpg

“This is a very important discovery that will add to the value of the church,” said Osman Eravşar, the head of the provincial cultural heritage preservation board in Antalya, told Demirören News Agency.

Living between 270 and 343, Saint Nicholas, was an early Christian bishop during the time of the Roman Empire. Because of the many miracles attributed to his intercession, he is also known as “Nicholas the Wonderworker.”

The Church of St. Nicholas, located in Demre, was built in 520 on the foundations of an older Christian church where Saint Nicholas served as a bishop and was buried.

“The first church was submerged with the rise of the Mediterranean Sea, and some centuries later, a new church was built above,” Eravşar said.

“Now we have reached the remains of the first church and the floor on which Saint Nicholas stepped,” he noted.

Adding that the existence of the first church has been known since some photos taken in 1910, Eravşar went to say: “The tiling of the floor of the first church, on which Saint Nicholas walked, have been unearthed.”

The floor will be exhibited after being covered.

One other thing conducted in the restoration works was “opening the roof of the church.”

“In the 1980s, a concrete roof was constructed over the historical church to prevent rainfalls pouring on the church,” the expert said and added: “We took the concrete roof out and an easily-removable roof system will be installed.”

Very little is known about Saint Nicholas, but his legendary habit of secret gift-giving gave rise to the traditional model of “Santa Claus,” and named after him. The Church of St. Nicholas is on UNESCO’s tentative list to become a World Heritage Site.

• Like 8
  • Love 3

Interesting article, I shall watch this for any further information :)

• Like 2

yes, I did some research on this subject. it was pretty kewl. Especially what happened in 1044 with his tomb

• Like 1
  • Love 1

21 minutes ago, Warrenton Santa said:

yes, I did some research on this subject. it was pretty kewl. Especially what happened in 1044 with his tomb

If I remember my history correctly, they (Crusaders) came and secretly removed his tomb. He was reburied in Italy. Crusaders did this with a lot of Christian artifacts when Islam conquered the eastern Mediterranean area.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Drosselmeyer said:

I posted this one back in 2019

It must be news again as the date on the one I posted is Oct 2022, I guess the old news is new news. Especially if if its the first time you see it, then it is news, well it was news to me lol :) 

Edited by Rob Thompson
  • Like 1

Reading my Nice news email this morning  this same story was presented and at the bottom was this link that I found a good read ...

The History of St. Nick

Edited by Santa Timothy SC
word
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Santa Timothy SC said:

Reading my Nice news email this morning  this same story was presented and at the bottom was this link that I found a good read ...

The History of St. Nick

Yes, its a good article Tim, thanks for the share :) 

• Like 1

🎄 COUNTDOWN TO CHRISTMAS

• Days
  • Hours
  • Minutes
  • Seconds
  • Donations

All donations go directly towards the cost of hosting and running ClausNet!

Your support, through donations or simply by clicking on sponsor links, is greatly appreciated!

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Our picks

• 10 Essentials to Being a Better Santa
      Here are some DOs and DON'Ts on being Santa

Treat every child with respect.

Never make fun of a child.

Look into the child’s eyes when you speak to them.

Speak softly. Children are sharing confidences with you.

Acknowledge a child’s requests even if you don’t understand them.

Never promise a toy request to avoid a child’s disappointment.

Never promise a pet. Santas a toymaker and only animals produce pets.

If the child can’t remember their wish list, assure them you know what they want.

Never leave a child wondering if Santa heard their Christmas wishes.

Every child worries about being on Santas “Naughty or Nice List”. Tell each child “You’re on the “Nice List.” It will bring happiness to everyone!   

Santa Lou Knezevich is the creator of the Legendary Santas Mentoring Program
      Contact Santa Lou at: LegendarySantasMentoringProg@gmail.com
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 8 replies
    • How do You Portray Santa?
      Portraying Santa is acting; it is a characterization of a mythical character.

Most of us never think of ourselves as actors, but we are. Certain characteristics of Santa Claus have been handed down from one generation to another. The way we dress and conduct ourselves all follow an established pattern.

Santa Claus is one of the most recognizable characters throughout the world. This came about from the advertising campaign of the Coke Cola Company and the creative painting genius, of Haddon Sundblom. Coke Cola was looking to increase winter sales of its soft drink and hired Sundblom to produce illustrations for prominent magazines. These illustrations appeared during the holiday season from the late 1930s into the early 1970s and set the standard for how Santa should look.

This characterization of Santa with rosy cheeks, a white beard, handlebar mustache plus a red costume trimmed in white fur is the image most everyone has in their minds. Unconsciously people are going to judge you against that image. If your beard isn’t white or you have a soiled suit it will register with the onlooker.

By the way, the majority of Sundblom's paintings depict Santa with a Brown Belt and Brown Boots. Not until his later illustrations did he change the color to Black for these items. Within the past few years many costume companies have offered the Coke Cola Suit and it has become very popular. You can tell it by the large buttons and absence of fur down the front of the jacket.

No matter how you portray Santa, be it home visits, schools, churches, parades, corporate events, malls, hospitals we all make an entrance and an impression! The initial impression we make determines if our client will ask us to return.

The 5 Second Rule

I have a theory: When you enter the presence of your audience you have about 5 seconds to make people believe you are the real Santa.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 18 replies
    • Not Everyone Can Be Santa!
      Yes, I said it and it is not meant to hurt anyone’s feelings. I do view many Facebook sites along with websites and posted photos. Frankly, many of these postings should have never been put on public display.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 10 replies
    • Auld Lang Syne
      Every New Year’s Eve at the stroke of midnight, millions around the world traditionally gather together to sing the same song, “Auld Lang Syne”. As revilers mumble though the song’s versus, it often brings many of them to tears – regardless of the fact that most don’t know or even understand the lyrics. Confusion over the song’s lyrics is almost as much of a tradition as the song itself. Of course that rarely stops anyone from joining in.
        • Wow
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 4 replies
    • Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?
      Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?

Do you think we should start calling out those in our community whose actions or behavior is unbecoming of Santa Claus or Mrs. Claus?
      • 94 replies