Santa spreads Christmas cheer around the country by using sign language to communicate with deaf kids

Santa Timothy SC

8 minutes ago, Santa Timothy SC said:

I found this news story this morning and thought I would share  ... 

Santa Spreads Christmas Cheer using sign language

Love this, thanks for the share! This is why i have been working on learning some ASL and plan on learning more,  so I can utilize when I need to!

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I personally think sign language (ASL and other countries' own variants) is really something more Santa's could learn. You never know when you might need to use it (either as Santa or otherwise).

Edited by Sundblom Santa
  • Like 2

This is great! I’ve decided to attend an ASL training program in the new year. A local association offers a 6 part class (each “part” is 8 weeks long).

The classes are offered sporadically, so it’ll take me years to complete, but it will be a wonderful skill to learn.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

As most know I also sign, I have noticed this season Ive been signing several times every day in the Grotto.  and today I had to have my Elf hold my Night Before Christmas Story book in order that I could sign the story as there were three non verbal children who use sign at the story time session. The three children were mesmerized as for the most part, they only get to sign in school and in home if the parents have took the time to learn to sign.

We had a wonderful conversation afterwards.

Some of the other children also asked what we were doing, so I spent some time teaching them some basic Christmas signs

All Santa;s should sign, thus empowering children and making the magic inclusive .

Go for it!!

• Like 2
  • Love 5

• 2 months later...

This has made me think I should learn this.

• Like 3

On 12/20/2022 at 10:16 AM, Santa SteveKl said:

Love this, thanks for the share! This is why i have been working on learning some ASL and plan on learning more,  so I can utilize when I need to!

Totally agree, I need to be able to do this as well, for a guy who can’t hear a thing without my hearing aids, you’d think that I would be more Pro Active in making this happen! 

On 12/20/2022 at 3:01 PM, Sundblom Santa said:

I personally think sign language (ASL and other countries' own variants) is really something more Santa's could learn. You never know when you might need to use it (either as Santa or otherwise).

💯 % agree with you Nate!

On 12/20/2022 at 6:17 PM, Rob Thompson said:

As most know I also sign, I have noticed this season Ive been signing several times every day in the Grotto.  and today I had to have my Elf hold my Night Before Christmas Story book in order that I could sign the story as there were three non verbal children who use sign at the story time session. The three children were mesmerized as for the most part, they only get to sign in school and in home if the parents have took the time to learn to sign.

We had a wonderful conversation afterwards.

Some of the other children also asked what we were doing, so I spent some time teaching them some basic Christmas signs

All Santa;s should sign, thus empowering children and making the magic inclusive .

Go for it!!

My biggest FEAR is: I will learn ASL then because of not using it daily, I will fall on my mindless self and FORGET IT WHEN I NEED IT MOST! & That would mark me deeply if that were to happen! 
@Rob Thompson how often do you use ASL? Can I be so bold to ask why if weekly or daily? 

• Like 2

So sleep evades me this morning while I should be OUT LIKE A LIGHT. BUT I'm ON LIKE THE SUN!

Anyway I found this FREE SITE to sign up for ASL classes, I'm not 100% that it's all free but some of it is for sure. I'm signing up as soon as I get off of here and will check it out in more detail in the realistic morning to come. LIKE I SAID, being almost 100% deaf without my hearing aids, this is something I should have for myself & then the children! I believe this could be a GREAT START INTO DOING SOME GOOD IN THIS CRAZY WORLD, THE WAY IT HAS BEEN AND GETTING! Thanks AGAIN @Santa Timothy SC 

Including you guys @Santa SteveKl@Jeff Hillyard@Sundblom Santa@Grandpa Gus,

Here is the site: Once you open it up, TOP RIGHT CLICK the Sign up for free button.  

WWW.STARTASL.COM

Learn American Sign Language (ASL )150% faster and 4x easier with our multi-angle slow-motion online video lessons.

I did just in fact signed up & received my email to download for free 5 steps to learning ASL. I also see they have other classes for a fee. I'm going to try this thing out. 

Edited by Schwindy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Schwindy said:

Totally agree, I need to be able to do this as well, for a guy who can’t hear a thing without my hearing aids, you’d think that I would be more Pro Active in making this happen! 

💯 % agree with you Nate!

My biggest FEAR is: I will learn ASL then because of not using it daily, I will fall on my mindless self and FORGET IT WHEN I NEED IT MOST! & That would mark me deeply if that were to happen! 
@Rob Thompson how often do you use ASL? Can I be so bold to ask why if weekly or daily? 

Hi Tom,

I dont use ASL, although I know a little bit. ASL is America based, in the UK we use BSL and Makaton, I use Makaton,

Re use, you are right if you dont use it as they say, you loose it. Many many years ago I worked as a special needs Social Worker so it was a daily tool. However now I rarely use it other than during the Christmas Season.

To keep my sign bank'projection up to date every month I will spend a day signing everything, and come mid November thats it full pelt :) 

When I first started using it by way of keeping the bank up to date, I think the locals in the village shop thought I had turrets lol, but now they ust say, almost Christmas Santa!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Schwindy said:

So sleep evades me this morning while I should be OUT LIKE A LIGHT. BUT I'm ON LIKE THE SUN!

Anyway I found this FREE SITE to sign up for ASL classes, I'm not 100% that it's all free but some of it is for sure. I'm signing up as soon as I get off of here and will check it out in more detail in the realistic morning to come. LIKE I SAID, being almost 100% deaf without my hearing aids, this is something I should have for myself & then the children! I believe this could be a GREAT START INTO DOING SOME GOOD IN THIS CRAZY WORLD, THE WAY IT HAS BEEN AND GETTING! Thanks AGAIN @Santa Timothy SC 

Including you guys @Santa SteveKl@Jeff Hillyard@Sundblom Santa@Grandpa Gus,

Here is the site: Once you open it up, TOP RIGHT CLICK the Sign up for free button.  

WWW.STARTASL.COM

Learn American Sign Language (ASL )150% faster and 4x easier with our multi-angle slow-motion online video lessons.

I did just in fact signed up & received my email to download for free 5 steps to learning ASL. I also see they have other classes for a fee. I'm going to try this thing out. 

Thats great news Tom, go for it. Especially as its free, It may be the case that you really take to it and continue learning beyond the basics, that said, the basics will serve you well and will be appreciated immensely from children and their families where additional communication needs are a factor

• Like 4
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Schwindy said:

@Rob Thompson how often do you use ASL? 

In the Santa world, I get a hearing impaired child at least once a season.

I can sign, "Merry Christmas" and "I was wondering what gift you would like me to give you for Christmas?" and "I love you".

I need to learn a few more phrases and keep practicing them. Everyone here is correct; if you don't use it enough it will slip by your memory.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, Santa Johnny Boy said:

I can sign, "Merry Christmas" and "I was wondering what gift you would like me to give you for Christmas?" and "I love you".

I need to learn a few more phrases and keep practicing them. Everyone here is correct; if you don't use it enough it will slip by your memory.

I love you @Santa Johnny Boy

In ASL of course lol :) 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

4 hours ago, Santa Johnny Boy said:

The sign for what is in the first video, the rest is in the second video, Hope this helps :) 

• Like 1
  • Love 4

19 hours ago, Rob Thompson said:

I love you @Santa Johnny Boy

In ASL of course lol :) 

These videos are great! Did you know, that "I love you" in sign language combines the letters "I" "L" and "Y" in finger spell? This is an easy one to remember.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This thread has opened my mind and my heart to something I had never given any thought to before. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

42 minutes ago, Santa Shep said:

This thread has opened my mind and my heart to something I had never given any thought to before. 

And that's why ClausNet's the most wonderful place in cyberspace. We're all learning and growing together as a community.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Santa Shep said:

Nice one Shep,now crack on and learn some sing :) 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Just a thought for the across the pond Santa community. Im sure there area  few Santas on CN that do use ASL, including our man at the top, @Michael Rielly 

Perhaps one or more may , time permitting and I know its is a premium for some, offer a Christmas Sign session via the internet, eg on one of the Zoom meetings?  :) 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

5 hours ago, Rob Thompson said:

Just a thought for the across the pond Santa community. Im sure there area  few Santas on CN that do use ASL, including our man at the top, @Michael Rielly 

Perhaps one or more may , time permitting and I know its is a premium for some, offer a Christmas Sign session via the internet, eg on one of the Zoom meetings?  :) 

I would love to be able to attend a session about sign language. kke me inform please

• Like 1

🎄 COUNTDOWN TO CHRISTMAS

• Days
  • Hours
  • Minutes
  • Seconds
  • Donations

All donations go directly towards the cost of hosting and running ClausNet!

Your support, through donations or simply by clicking on sponsor links, is greatly appreciated!

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Our picks

• 10 Essentials to Being a Better Santa
      Here are some DOs and DON'Ts on being Santa

Treat every child with respect.

Never make fun of a child.

Look into the child’s eyes when you speak to them.

Speak softly. Children are sharing confidences with you.

Acknowledge a child’s requests even if you don’t understand them.

Never promise a toy request to avoid a child’s disappointment.

Never promise a pet. Santas a toymaker and only animals produce pets.

If the child can’t remember their wish list, assure them you know what they want.

Never leave a child wondering if Santa heard their Christmas wishes.

Every child worries about being on Santas “Naughty or Nice List”. Tell each child “You’re on the “Nice List.” It will bring happiness to everyone!   

Santa Lou Knezevich is the creator of the Legendary Santas Mentoring Program
      Contact Santa Lou at: LegendarySantasMentoringProg@gmail.com
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 8 replies
    • How do You Portray Santa?
      Portraying Santa is acting; it is a characterization of a mythical character.

Most of us never think of ourselves as actors, but we are. Certain characteristics of Santa Claus have been handed down from one generation to another. The way we dress and conduct ourselves all follow an established pattern.

Santa Claus is one of the most recognizable characters throughout the world. This came about from the advertising campaign of the Coke Cola Company and the creative painting genius, of Haddon Sundblom. Coke Cola was looking to increase winter sales of its soft drink and hired Sundblom to produce illustrations for prominent magazines. These illustrations appeared during the holiday season from the late 1930s into the early 1970s and set the standard for how Santa should look.

This characterization of Santa with rosy cheeks, a white beard, handlebar mustache plus a red costume trimmed in white fur is the image most everyone has in their minds. Unconsciously people are going to judge you against that image. If your beard isn’t white or you have a soiled suit it will register with the onlooker.

By the way, the majority of Sundblom's paintings depict Santa with a Brown Belt and Brown Boots. Not until his later illustrations did he change the color to Black for these items. Within the past few years many costume companies have offered the Coke Cola Suit and it has become very popular. You can tell it by the large buttons and absence of fur down the front of the jacket.

No matter how you portray Santa, be it home visits, schools, churches, parades, corporate events, malls, hospitals we all make an entrance and an impression! The initial impression we make determines if our client will ask us to return.

The 5 Second Rule

I have a theory: When you enter the presence of your audience you have about 5 seconds to make people believe you are the real Santa.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 18 replies
    • Not Everyone Can Be Santa!
      Yes, I said it and it is not meant to hurt anyone’s feelings. I do view many Facebook sites along with websites and posted photos. Frankly, many of these postings should have never been put on public display.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 10 replies
    • Auld Lang Syne
      Every New Year’s Eve at the stroke of midnight, millions around the world traditionally gather together to sing the same song, “Auld Lang Syne”. As revilers mumble though the song’s versus, it often brings many of them to tears – regardless of the fact that most don’t know or even understand the lyrics. Confusion over the song’s lyrics is almost as much of a tradition as the song itself. Of course that rarely stops anyone from joining in.
        • Wow
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 4 replies
    • Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?
      Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?

Do you think we should start calling out those in our community whose actions or behavior is unbecoming of Santa Claus or Mrs. Claus?
      • 94 replies