Chef ‘Bobby Chez,’ the king of crab cakes, is selling his New Jersey mansion.

Drosselmeyer

Chef ‘Bobby Chez,’ the king of crab cakes, is selling his New Jersey mansion. Asking price: $4.4 million.

The Moorestown mansion, where Santa Claus would land in a helicopter on Christmas Eve, is over the top. So was Chez Robert, the destination restaurant he operated long ago.

The Philadelphia Inquirer     Wednesday, June 28, 2023

2MCAXG6EHZEPNDXATMMXOQL4OI.jpg

Veteran chef Robert Sliwowski has been up and he’s been down, and although he has put his South Jersey mansion on the market, he is certainly not out.

The listing, with an asking price of about $4.4 million, just means that Sliwowski — who calls himself Bobby Chez, same as his mini-chain of food shops — says he is downsizing. He and his wife, Linda, own properties in Arizona and upstate New York.

In 2005, when the couple had the 9,000-square-foot rancher built on four acres in Moorestown, his mother, Phyllis, lived with them. Now, “it’s just me and Linda and it’s time to move on,” said Sliwowski, 71.

Sliwowski brushed off a question about retirement. After making a name in South Jersey with his long-ago destination restaurant Chez Robert — which he lost in 1994 over allegations of violating the Fair Labor Standards Act — he rose to prominence in 1996 with his family crab cake recipe and an idea for takeout food. He now operates four Bobby Chez locations in South Jersey. Its first franchise opened recently in Newtown, Bucks County.

The kitchen in the Moorestown home of chef Bobby Sliwowski (aka Bobby Chez) Tuesday, June 20, 2023. He is selling it as he and his wife downsize.
The kitchen in the Moorestown home of chef Bobby Sliwowski (aka Bobby Chez) Tuesday, June 20, 2023. He is selling it as he and his wife downsize.Tom Gralish / Staff Photographer

Sliwowski’s house on Bridgeboro Road, with 5 bedrooms, 4 full baths, and 2 half baths, also had its ups and downs. It hosted the couple’s 2007 wedding (the second for both), whose guest list included actor James Gandolfini, with whom Sliwowski owned a racehorse. The pony was named Uncle Junior, after a Sopranos character as well as Sliwowski’s uncle, former Camden Mayor Angelo Errichetti, who was jailed in the Abscam FBI sting. For years, the Sliwowskis hosted a Christmas Eve party at which the highlight was Santa Claus arriving by helicopter.

The manse also attracted negative attention from Moorestown Township, which fined Sliwowski in April 2006 because he moved before the occupancy permit was issued. (Sliwowski explained that he needed a place for his ailing mother, who died that summer.) Sliwowski also faced a decade’s worth of litigation over a pond and a berm that he had installed. A lawsuit claimed that the berm forced storm water onto a neighbor’s farm field and onto a second neighbor’s property; the issue was remediated.

The kitchen in the Moorestown home of chef Bobby Sliwowski (aka Bobby Chez) Tuesday, June 20, 2023. He is selling it as he and his wife downsize.
The kitchen in the Moorestown home of chef Bobby Sliwowski (aka Bobby Chez) Tuesday, June 20, 2023. He is selling it as he and his wife downsize.Tom Gralish / Staff Photographer

Melissa Young, the couple’s Realtor, describes the house as “truly a work of art.” Sliwowski said he dislikes sharp edges, so every corner and molding is rounded. Its features include a slate roof, an aboveground basement design with surround sound music, radiant heated floors, 10-foot ceilings, custom architectural millwork, five gas/wood fireplaces, and copper gutters.

The Clive Christian kitchen has an eight-burner range, four ovens, three Sub-Zero refrigerators, an oversize walk-in pantry, a chopping block, and an island that Young says “seems to stretch indefinitely.” There’s a handcrafted wooden wet bar complete with wine refrigerator, sink, dishwasher and two Sub-Zero ice machines and three built-in televisions. There are four bedrooms on the first floor — the main one has what she calls a large spa bathroom retreat with two water closets for privacy; it overlooks a private terrace, landscaped gardens, pond with fountain, and an Olympic-sized pool. There’s a fifth bedroom with a full bath upstairs.

Crustacean Decimation Due to Climate-Change-Driven Cannibaliza
Next
Sta

“It was just a labor of love and we’ve enjoyed 18 years there,” Sliwowski said.

Who is Bobby Chez?

Robert Sliwowski grew up in Haddon Heights and Cherry Hill. His father, Edward, ran a restaurant in Maple Shade. As a kid, Bobby helped his mother run the hot dog stand at Woodcrest Country Club in Cherry Hill.

Though his upbringing was modest, he never thought small. In his first marriage, he lived on a 103-acre horse farm in Marlton.

The Sliwowski home at 343 Bridgeboro Rd., Moorestown, sits on four acres.
The Sliwowski home at 343 Bridgeboro Rd., Moorestown, sits on four acres.Stephen Edwards / SKE Services

The Moorestown house, with its over-the-top decorations, could be described as a residential version of Sliwowski’s former French restaurant, Chez Robert. It opened in 1976 in the Coliseum in Voorhees but moved to Haddon Avenue in Westmont (now the site of Giumarello’s) in 1981. The formal dining room had champagne-colored walls accented by brass twin lamp sconces with pleated shades and champagne-colored tablecloths and napkins. Tables were set with Limoges porcelain, brass candlesticks, and finger bowls. Outside the dining room was a garden and large tanks with tropical fish.

Few restaurateurs might buy two peacocks to stroll their garden for effect, as Sliwowski did in 1983. (This did not end well, incidentally. The birds shrieked at nights, upsetting neighbors. After Sliwowski reported that one bird had been killed — possibly by a neighbor — state officials told him that he would be fined if he didn’t get rid of the remaining bird.)

The Labor Department action forced Sliwowski’s hand in 1993 and 1994. “It was the biggest lawsuit ever against a restaurant — $2.7 million,” Sliwowski said. As he retooled Chez Robert, turning it into a casual restaurant for several months, it closed in late 1994. He lost the business, his house, and his marriage. “I went from driving a brand-new Mercedes to a 10-year-old Taurus with a broken window,” he said.

“I had to start all over and my friend said, ‘What are you going to do now?’ I said, ‘I don’t know.’ He said, ‘Why don’t you sell crab cakes?’ I said, ‘Crab cakes? I’m a master chef. I don’t sell crab cakes. We had them on specials and for parties.’”

The Sliwowski home at 343 Bridgeboro Rd., Moorestown, was built in 2005-06.
The Sliwowski home at 343 Bridgeboro Rd., Moorestown, was built in 2005-06.Stephen Edwards / SKE Services

“We started from nothing,” he said. “It was very humbling and I’m going around hustling crab cakes and people are laughing at me. But I had to do something. I had to stay afloat. I had to worry about my mother. She was always there for me and she worked hard, too.”

In 1996, they started making crab cakes in her house, “and started going from one store to the next. I had no really substantial money, but there was a place near us in Voorhees called Wrestlers Pizza that was available. I went to a loan shark and I borrowed $6,000. He said, ‘Listen. I can give you $6,000. But if you don’t give us $660 a week for 10 weeks, you know what’s going to happen?’ I said, ‘I know, sir.’ Well, fortunately I was able to overcome that.”

• Like 1
  • Wow 2

maybe not terribly Christmassy - but the house is for sale and has a helipad for Santa to land as a selling feature . . . 

• Like 2

I 'd die for that kitchen!!!

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Drosselmeyer said:

maybe not terribly Christmassy - but the house is for sale and has a helipad for Santa to land as a selling feature . . . 

Yes, but would the helipad fit the reindeer? :Rudolph:

• Haha 5

34 minutes ago, Santa Johnny Boy said:

Yes, but would the helipad fit the reindeer? :Rudolph:

I believe that reindeer are VTOL capable.

• Haha 1

I don't think I'd allow my reindeer anywhere near a chef.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Cliff Cringle said:

I don't think I'd allow my reindeer anywhere near a chef.

Or  a helicopter, I guess that vould be the prep for arrival in the kitchen

• Wow 1

21 hours ago, Eileen Strom said:

IT'S TOO BAD, CUZ it looks like it's  A KILLER GAS STOVE TOP, THEY'LL be shutting it DOWN or turning it off B/4 YOU CAN MOVE IN!!! :sorry::sc_rofl::116:

• Haha 2

I mean that guy's kitchen (just the kitchen portion) is a 1/3 the size of my house....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eileen Strom said:

I mean that guy's kitchen (just the kitchen portion) is a 1/3 the size of my house....

WELL NOW YOU SEE WHAT 4.4 Mil can get ya!!! LOL! :sc_rofl:

Could you imagine having to clean it up after a party?!?!?!?!

• Haha 2

I would not want that cleaning bill for sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Santa SteveKl said:

I would not want that cleaning bill for sure.

I can't help BUT wonder, COULD you dust that room with a leaf blower? :sc_hands: It' be worth a shot?! 

• Haha 4

the loud house leaf blower GIF by Nickelodeon

You could try, but don't think the Mrs would like that.😂

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Santa SteveKl said:

NO, NO, NO, NOT WHEN SHE IS HOME!!!!!

• Haha 4

On 6/28/2023 at 7:06 PM, Eileen Strom said:

I'd kill for that kitchen . . .

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

2 hours ago, Schwindy said:

Yeah, we definitely have to keep the leaf blower away from Kathy. Otherwise, she may decide to put you in the doghouse. Well, either that, or you can just turn it up REALLY HIGH and blow her over when she protests. If you did that, though, she'd probably go to prison for murder and we wouldn't have nearly as much fun without you here.

Edited by Sundblom Santa
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Schwindy said:

Im blown away :) 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Rob Thompson said:

Im blown away :) 

& IT WOULD HAVE TO BE an electric blower!!!

Don't be taking a gas powered blower IN THE HOUSE!!!
She'll know RIGHT AWAY!!!

leaf blower GIF by What We Do In The Shadows

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Schwindy said:

& IT WOULD HAVE TO BE an electric blower!!!

Don't be taking a gas powered blower IN THE HOUSE!!!
She'll know RIGHT AWAY!!!

leaf blower GIF by What We Do In The Shadows

There is already a resident gas blower in the House Tom, I think she eats way to many eggs and beans lol :) 

farting.jpg?s=612x612&w=0&k=20&c=6lsY5CK

Edited by Rob Thompson
  • Wow 2

On 6/30/2023 at 11:03 AM, Santa SteveKl said:

the answer is yes - but don't ask me how or why I know that . . . 

• Haha 2

🎄 COUNTDOWN TO CHRISTMAS

• Days
  • Hours
  • Minutes
  • Seconds
  • Donations

All donations go directly towards the cost of hosting and running ClausNet!

Your support, through donations or simply by clicking on sponsor links, is greatly appreciated!

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Our picks

• 10 Essentials to Being a Better Santa
      Here are some DOs and DON'Ts on being Santa

Treat every child with respect.

Never make fun of a child.

Look into the child’s eyes when you speak to them.

Speak softly. Children are sharing confidences with you.

Acknowledge a child’s requests even if you don’t understand them.

Never promise a toy request to avoid a child’s disappointment.

Never promise a pet. Santas a toymaker and only animals produce pets.

If the child can’t remember their wish list, assure them you know what they want.

Never leave a child wondering if Santa heard their Christmas wishes.

Every child worries about being on Santas “Naughty or Nice List”. Tell each child “You’re on the “Nice List.” It will bring happiness to everyone!   

Santa Lou Knezevich is the creator of the Legendary Santas Mentoring Program
      Contact Santa Lou at: LegendarySantasMentoringProg@gmail.com
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 8 replies
    • How do You Portray Santa?
      Portraying Santa is acting; it is a characterization of a mythical character.

Most of us never think of ourselves as actors, but we are. Certain characteristics of Santa Claus have been handed down from one generation to another. The way we dress and conduct ourselves all follow an established pattern.

Santa Claus is one of the most recognizable characters throughout the world. This came about from the advertising campaign of the Coke Cola Company and the creative painting genius, of Haddon Sundblom. Coke Cola was looking to increase winter sales of its soft drink and hired Sundblom to produce illustrations for prominent magazines. These illustrations appeared during the holiday season from the late 1930s into the early 1970s and set the standard for how Santa should look.

This characterization of Santa with rosy cheeks, a white beard, handlebar mustache plus a red costume trimmed in white fur is the image most everyone has in their minds. Unconsciously people are going to judge you against that image. If your beard isn’t white or you have a soiled suit it will register with the onlooker.

By the way, the majority of Sundblom's paintings depict Santa with a Brown Belt and Brown Boots. Not until his later illustrations did he change the color to Black for these items. Within the past few years many costume companies have offered the Coke Cola Suit and it has become very popular. You can tell it by the large buttons and absence of fur down the front of the jacket.

No matter how you portray Santa, be it home visits, schools, churches, parades, corporate events, malls, hospitals we all make an entrance and an impression! The initial impression we make determines if our client will ask us to return.

The 5 Second Rule

I have a theory: When you enter the presence of your audience you have about 5 seconds to make people believe you are the real Santa.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 18 replies
    • Not Everyone Can Be Santa!
      Yes, I said it and it is not meant to hurt anyone’s feelings. I do view many Facebook sites along with websites and posted photos. Frankly, many of these postings should have never been put on public display.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 10 replies
    • Auld Lang Syne
      Every New Year’s Eve at the stroke of midnight, millions around the world traditionally gather together to sing the same song, “Auld Lang Syne”. As revilers mumble though the song’s versus, it often brings many of them to tears – regardless of the fact that most don’t know or even understand the lyrics. Confusion over the song’s lyrics is almost as much of a tradition as the song itself. Of course that rarely stops anyone from joining in.
        • Wow
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 4 replies
    • Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?
      Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?

Do you think we should start calling out those in our community whose actions or behavior is unbecoming of Santa Claus or Mrs. Claus?
      • 94 replies