AI Toys Creepy?

River Region Santa

AI toys: Cool or creepy?

BY KIM KOMANDO, KOMANDO.COM
JUNE 27, 2023

In the not-so-distant future, you could walk in on a teddy bear reading a bedtime story to your child. Not just any story, a saga customized based on everything the toy knows about your child — their likes, dislikes and deepest secrets. All thanks to artificial intelligence (AI).

If this all sounds a little too “Black Mirror” to you, you’re not alone. I want to let you know that this holiday season, we’re bound to see a slew of AI-powered toys hitting the scene. This way, when the kids ask for these toys, you know it’s not all just fun and games.

Not your average Ken or Barbie

Imagine a toy that learns everything about your child. They can have complete conversations with the toy, and it talks back in complete sentences. The more the kid speaks to the teddy, the more intelligent the bear becomes.

Expected to hit toy store shelves sometime in 2028 or sooner, VTech’s AI teddies are like a cross between a Furby from the ’90s and ChatGPT. VTech co-founder and toymaker Allan Wong says the teddy bears offer parents an alternative to the traditional bedtime story ritual. 

According to Wong, the AI-powered bears would use chatbot-style technology to create customized tales for their child handlers. Beyond basic information collected by the toy, they may also capture school and home locations and sensitive data about mom and dad. 

While the concept is innovative, the same privacy concerns plaguing adult smart devices apply to these new toys. Whenever a toy has recording capabilities, the data is stored, analyzed and often shared for a price with third-party buyers. 

What else is out there? 

VTech isn’t the only toy company going all-in on AI. There are many concerning toys already on the market. Parents Together, a non-profit out of Washington, D.C., put together a list and here are some of the most eyebrow-raising items:

• Designed for kids 13 and up, the Meta Quest VR Headset raises alarm bells. Not only does it provide kids with access to virtual strip clubs (big yikes), the headset is equipped with a camera and mic that may capture what goes on inside your home.
  • The KidKraft Amazon Kitchen comes fully loaded with Alexa Skills, a series of third-party apps to make Amazon’s Alexa do just about anything. The problem? These apps aren’t bound to any actual privacy policies. Many collect, use and sell your child’s voice and data to anyone who wants it.
  • eKids’ Paw Patrol Walkie-Talkies sure are cute, but buyer beware. Some parents have reported horrific incidents, including their kids communicating with strangers,  aka predators. 

Several other toys made the list. You can check them out here.

Keeping play private

It’s impractical to try to avoid AI toys altogether, as they’re quickly becoming a household norm. However, there are things you can do to stay safe. First and foremost, make sure toys are age-appropriate for your kids and research all safety risks before committing to a purchase.

Know the features of your kids’ toys inside and out and disable things like cameras and chat functionalities, if possible. Also, take advantage of parental controls on the toys and always read the gadget’s privacy policy.

• Like 1

HMM,,,,,,,,,Toy Story, becoming a reality almost :) 

• Like 1

I think to much technology in a kids life leads to social issues later on in life. I find that they become to reliant on tech vs hands on real life adventures and experiences.

• Like 2

Just because you or we, as the case maybe, can do something, does not mean it is the right thing to do. AI is coming fast, and there doesn't look like there are any safe guards. The interaction of parents, grandparents or other living, breathing, human beings can never be replaced by AI. And should we try, the consequences may be far greater than we can now dream. Tread carefully my friends.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, scottishstnick said:

I think to much technology in a kids life leads to social issues later on in life. I find that they become to reliant on tech vs hands on real life adventures and experiences.

Many years ago my grandson, 'The Boy' asked me if I still had his mums original Play Station was, 

Of course I do, was my response

Where is it Grandad can I see it and can I play with it?

Follow me said I, as I led him to the French doors,

Open those doors, run outside and look

He ran outside so excited, then asked, where is it?

You are in the play-station  now and its all yours and doesn't require electricity, hand controllers etc.... He got it straight away and smiled and shouted.......... YEAHHHHHHHHHHH :) 

Whilst he does have the usual computer stuff, he remains an outdoor youngster, he would rather build a den by the river, hike up a mountain, swim the lake or just climb a tree

I dont think AI  will evr replaced the great outdoors :) 

The real playstation!!!!

• Like 3

I am nervous about the AI era.  Kids today don't play enough outside.  They depend on the internet to tell them how to do things.  I watch this when I look after my grandbaby.  She was furious when I turned internet off and taught her how to ride a bike. She is 6.  To much technology is not good for our kids they forget how to think for themselves.

• Like 2

How long will it take before AI Blackmailers become a real issue?

15 minutes ago, Cliff Cringle said:

How long will it take before AI Blackmailers become a real issue?

I kinda think it's happening with spam email and the internet tailoring what ads you get via what you have recently searched online for....and automated business chat bots

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

🎄 COUNTDOWN TO CHRISTMAS

• Days
  • Hours
  • Minutes
  • Seconds
  • Donations

All donations go directly towards the cost of hosting and running ClausNet!

Your support, through donations or simply by clicking on sponsor links, is greatly appreciated!

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Our picks

• 10 Essentials to Being a Better Santa
      Here are some DOs and DON'Ts on being Santa

Treat every child with respect.

Never make fun of a child.

Look into the child’s eyes when you speak to them.

Speak softly. Children are sharing confidences with you.

Acknowledge a child’s requests even if you don’t understand them.

Never promise a toy request to avoid a child’s disappointment.

Never promise a pet. Santas a toymaker and only animals produce pets.

If the child can’t remember their wish list, assure them you know what they want.

Never leave a child wondering if Santa heard their Christmas wishes.

Every child worries about being on Santas “Naughty or Nice List”. Tell each child “You’re on the “Nice List.” It will bring happiness to everyone!   

Santa Lou Knezevich is the creator of the Legendary Santas Mentoring Program
      Contact Santa Lou at: LegendarySantasMentoringProg@gmail.com
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 8 replies
    • How do You Portray Santa?
      Portraying Santa is acting; it is a characterization of a mythical character.

Most of us never think of ourselves as actors, but we are. Certain characteristics of Santa Claus have been handed down from one generation to another. The way we dress and conduct ourselves all follow an established pattern.

Santa Claus is one of the most recognizable characters throughout the world. This came about from the advertising campaign of the Coke Cola Company and the creative painting genius, of Haddon Sundblom. Coke Cola was looking to increase winter sales of its soft drink and hired Sundblom to produce illustrations for prominent magazines. These illustrations appeared during the holiday season from the late 1930s into the early 1970s and set the standard for how Santa should look.

This characterization of Santa with rosy cheeks, a white beard, handlebar mustache plus a red costume trimmed in white fur is the image most everyone has in their minds. Unconsciously people are going to judge you against that image. If your beard isn’t white or you have a soiled suit it will register with the onlooker.

By the way, the majority of Sundblom's paintings depict Santa with a Brown Belt and Brown Boots. Not until his later illustrations did he change the color to Black for these items. Within the past few years many costume companies have offered the Coke Cola Suit and it has become very popular. You can tell it by the large buttons and absence of fur down the front of the jacket.

No matter how you portray Santa, be it home visits, schools, churches, parades, corporate events, malls, hospitals we all make an entrance and an impression! The initial impression we make determines if our client will ask us to return.

The 5 Second Rule

I have a theory: When you enter the presence of your audience you have about 5 seconds to make people believe you are the real Santa.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 18 replies
    • Not Everyone Can Be Santa!
      Yes, I said it and it is not meant to hurt anyone’s feelings. I do view many Facebook sites along with websites and posted photos. Frankly, many of these postings should have never been put on public display.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 10 replies
    • Auld Lang Syne
      Every New Year’s Eve at the stroke of midnight, millions around the world traditionally gather together to sing the same song, “Auld Lang Syne”. As revilers mumble though the song’s versus, it often brings many of them to tears – regardless of the fact that most don’t know or even understand the lyrics. Confusion over the song’s lyrics is almost as much of a tradition as the song itself. Of course that rarely stops anyone from joining in.
        • Wow
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 4 replies
    • Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?
      Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?

Do you think we should start calling out those in our community whose actions or behavior is unbecoming of Santa Claus or Mrs. Claus?
      • 94 replies