Jump to content

Three Rare White Reindeer Calves Get Ready For Christmas, Joining the UK’s Only Herd


Rob Thompson

Recommended Posts

Old news but nice anyway :) 

Three Rare White Reindeer Calves Get Ready For Christmas, Joining the UK’s Only Herd

Source   - Good News Network

DATE - Nov 2022

These three adorable white reindeer calves are getting ready for Christmas as the UK’s only herd.

The three babies, named Mr. Whippy, Vanilla, and 99, were born in the summer and are now ready to join the rest of the herd on a tour around the country in the run up to Christmas.

 

white-reindeer-calves-in-UK-SWNS.jpg

During the rest of the year, the free-ranging herd lives at the Cairngorms National Park where the snowy, arctic conditions provide the best vegetation.

The first ones were brought over from Swedish Lapland in 1952 by Mikel Utsi and his wife Dr. Ethel Lindgren as an experiment—and they have grazed the land ever since.

“We’re centrally positioned within the highlands which means we have a more continental climate,” said Tilly Smith, owner of the Cairngorm Reindeer Centre.

“The Cairngorms is ideal for the reindeer. We’re more likely to have cold, snowy, arctic-like conditions.
She said that although the mountains are “vast and impressive“, they’re also “gentle” which suits these less-than-nimble grazers.

“They are beautiful, calming animals,” said Mark Tate of Visit Cairngorms. “They add to the magical winter wonderland feel that really does make winter come to life in the Cairngorms National Park.”

“It’s thanks to the really special environment we have here in the Cairngorms that they’ve thrived and grown.”

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Wow 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Beautiful animals.

Im a little confused re @The only herd in the UK'

as I know there are quite a lot of reindeer herds in the UK, I wonder if the mean this particular breed?

:) 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rob Thompson said:

Im a little confused re @The only herd in the UK'

as I know there are quite a lot of reindeer herds in the UK, I wonder if the mean this particular breed?

Good question ... I wonder how common or uncommon white reindeer are, beautiful reindeer in any case 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

They're so beautiful. Thanks for sharing, Rob.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Santa Timothy SC said:

Good question ... I wonder how common or uncommon white reindeer are, beautiful reindeer in any case 

Apparently they are quite rare, its some sort of genetic mutation that removes the colour pigments...just googled it lol  :)  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree they are beautiful. Thanks for the share!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Santa SteveKl said:

I agree they are beautiful. Thanks for the share!

you are very welcome Sir

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Never seen white ones before, that's really something.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did a little research. It seems that there are many herds in the UK, but this is the only free ranging one.

On 8/12/2023 at 11:20 AM, Rob Thompson said:

Old news but nice anyway :) 

Three Rare White Reindeer Calves Get Ready For Christmas, Joining the UK’s Only Herd

Source   - Good News Network

DATE - Nov 2022

These three adorable white reindeer calves are getting ready for Christmas as the UK’s only herd.

The three babies, named Mr. Whippy, Vanilla, and 99, were born in the summer and are now ready to join the rest of the herd on a tour around the country in the run up to Christmas.

 

white-reindeer-calves-in-UK-SWNS.jpg

During the rest of the year, the free-ranging herd lives at the Cairngorms National Park where the snowy, arctic conditions provide the best vegetation.

The first ones were brought over from Swedish Lapland in 1952 by Mikel Utsi and his wife Dr. Ethel Lindgren as an experiment—and they have grazed the land ever since.

“We’re centrally positioned within the highlands which means we have a more continental climate,” said Tilly Smith, owner of the Cairngorm Reindeer Centre.

“The Cairngorms is ideal for the reindeer. We’re more likely to have cold, snowy, arctic-like conditions.
She said that although the mountains are “vast and impressive“, they’re also “gentle” which suits these less-than-nimble grazers.

“They are beautiful, calming animals,” said Mark Tate of Visit Cairngorms. “They add to the magical winter wonderland feel that really does make winter come to life in the Cairngorms National Park.”

“It’s thanks to the really special environment we have here in the Cairngorms that they’ve thrived and grown.”

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Santa SteveKl said:

I did a little research. It seems that there are many herds in the UK, but this is the only free ranging one.

 

Im pretty sure the Martingale herd is free range in CUmbria :) 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Cairngorm Reindeer Herd
The Cairngorm Reindeer Herd is Britain's only free-ranging herd of reindeer found in the Cairngorm mountains in Scotland. These tame and friendly animals are a joy to all who come and see them.

- The Cairngorm Reindeer Herd

- The Cairngorm Reindeer Herd

WWW.CAIRNGORMREINDEER.CO.UK

The Cairngorm Reindeer Herd is Britain's only free-ranging herd of reindeer found in the Cairngorm mountains in Scotland. These tame and friendly animals are a joy to all who come and see them. Reindeer are not just for Christmas! There are currently around 150 reindeer in the herd, mostly ranging on the Cairngorm Mountains with the remainder

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The area you spoke of is one of the areas of this herds range.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

🎄 COUNTDOWN TO CHRISTMAS

  • Days
  • Hours
  • Minutes
  • Seconds
  • Donations

    All donations go directly towards the cost of hosting and running ClausNet!

    Your support, through donations or simply by clicking on sponsor links, is greatly appreciated!

    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Our picks

    • Published by William B. Gilley in 1821, “The Children’s Friend. Number III. A New-Year’s Present to the Little Ones from Five to Twelve”, is believed to be the first book published in America to include lithographic illustrations. This book includes a poem about “Santeclaus” along with eight colored illustrations.

      However, what makes this book significant is the poem and illustrations are thought to be the earliest known visual representation of Santa Claus in a sleigh pulled by reindeer. The poem also marks Santa’s first appearance on Christmas Day rather than December 6, the feast day of St. Nicholas.

       

      The Children’s Friend. Number III.
      A New-Year’s Present to the Little Ones from Five to Twelve
      by William B. Gilley, 1821


      Old Santeclaus with much delight
       His reindeer drives this frosty night.
       O’er chimney tops, and tracks of snow,
       To bring his yearly gifts to you.

       The steady friend of virtuous youth,
       The friend of duty, and of truth,
       Each Christmas eve he joys to come
       Where love and peace have made their home”


       Through many houses he has been,
       And various beds and stockings seen,
       Some, white as snow, and neatly mended,
       Others, that seem’d for pigs intended.

       Where e’er I found good girls or boys,
       That hated quarrels, strife and noise,
       Left an apple, or a tart,
       Or wooden gun, or painted cart;

       To some I gave a pretty doll,
       To some a peg-top, or a ball;
       No crackers, cannons, squibs, or rockets,
       To blow their eyes up, or their pockets.

       No drums to stun their Mother’s ear,
      Nor swords to make their sisters fear;
      But pretty books to store their mind
       With knowledge of each various kind.

       But where I found the children naughty,
       In manners rude, in temper haughty,
       Thankless to parents, liars, swearers,
       Boxers, or cheats, or base tale-bearers,


       I left a long, black, birchen rod,
       Such as the dread command of God
       Directs a Parent’s hand to use
       When virtue’s path his sons refuse
        • Like
      • 3 replies
    • 10 Essentials to Being a Better Santa
      Here are some DOs and DON'Ts on being Santa

      Treat every child with respect.


      Never make fun of a child.


      Look into the child’s eyes when you speak to them.


      Speak softly. Children are sharing confidences with you.


      Acknowledge a child’s requests even if you don’t understand them.


      Never promise a toy request to avoid a child’s disappointment.


      Never promise a pet. Santas a toymaker and only animals produce pets.


      If the child can’t remember their wish list, assure them you know what they want.


      Never leave a child wondering if Santa heard their Christmas wishes.


      Every child worries about being on Santas “Naughty or Nice List”. Tell each child “You’re on the “Nice List.” It will bring happiness to everyone!   




      Santa Lou Knezevich is the creator of the Legendary Santas Mentoring Program
      Contact Santa Lou at: LegendarySantasMentoringProg@gmail.com
        • Thanks
        • Love
        • Like
      • 8 replies
    • How do You Portray Santa?
      Portraying Santa is acting; it is a characterization of a mythical character.

      Most of us never think of ourselves as actors, but we are. Certain characteristics of Santa Claus have been handed down from one generation to another. The way we dress and conduct ourselves all follow an established pattern.

      Santa Claus is one of the most recognizable characters throughout the world. This came about from the advertising campaign of the Coke Cola Company and the creative painting genius, of Haddon Sundblom. Coke Cola was looking to increase winter sales of its soft drink and hired Sundblom to produce illustrations for prominent magazines. These illustrations appeared during the holiday season from the late 1930s into the early 1970s and set the standard for how Santa should look.

      This characterization of Santa with rosy cheeks, a white beard, handlebar mustache plus a red costume trimmed in white fur is the image most everyone has in their minds. Unconsciously people are going to judge you against that image. If your beard isn’t white or you have a soiled suit it will register with the onlooker.

      By the way, the majority of Sundblom's paintings depict Santa with a Brown Belt and Brown Boots. Not until his later illustrations did he change the color to Black for these items. Within the past few years many costume companies have offered the Coke Cola Suit and it has become very popular. You can tell it by the large buttons and absence of fur down the front of the jacket.

      No matter how you portray Santa, be it home visits, schools, churches, parades, corporate events, malls, hospitals we all make an entrance and an impression! The initial impression we make determines if our client will ask us to return.

      The 5 Second Rule

      I have a theory: When you enter the presence of your audience you have about 5 seconds to make people believe you are the real Santa.
        • Thanks
        • Love
        • Like
      • 18 replies
    • Not Everyone Can Be Santa!
      Yes, I said it and it is not meant to hurt anyone’s feelings. I do view many Facebook sites along with websites and posted photos. Frankly, many of these postings should have never been put on public display.
        • Thanks
        • Love
        • Like
      • 10 replies
    • Auld Lang Syne
      Every New Year’s Eve at the stroke of midnight, millions around the world traditionally gather together to sing the same song, “Auld Lang Syne”. As revilers mumble though the song’s versus, it often brings many of them to tears – regardless of the fact that most don’t know or even understand the lyrics. Confusion over the song’s lyrics is almost as much of a tradition as the song itself. Of course that rarely stops anyone from joining in.
        • Wow
        • Thanks
        • Love
        • Like
      • 4 replies
×
×
  • Create New...